Under its globally recognised Borg & Beck brand, First Line Ltd, has a comprehensive rotating electrics programme, which contains more than 1,100 starter, alternator and alternator free-wheel pulley references.
Alongside traditional designs, the range also encompasses the latest technology and includes a growing number of water-cooled and stop-start starter/alternators to provide factors and technicians with the complete product solution.
It’s expertise in this product group enables Borg & Beck technicians to advise on common problems occurring with the Ford Transit (2000-06) model, in regards to both starters and alternators.
Here are the top issues:
- Problem A: Dust and metallic filings can contaminate the starter drive assembly, which will lead to premature failure. This contamination is due to debris from the dual mass flywheel (DMF). The contamination quickly builds up again if the clutch and DMF are severely worn, therefore Borg & Beck recommends the replacement of the clutch and flywheel assembly at the same time as the starter. A long-term solution is to replace the original clutch/DMF with a single mass flywheel kit – Borg & Beck reference HKF1001.
- Problem B: These starters also often suffer from premature failure due to contamination from diesel fuel, which is caused by the continual drip of a fuel leak that gradually seeps into the starter and disintegrates the brushes.
Diesel starter incorrect diagnosis or starter not working correctly
- Problem A: These starters can become sluggish or will start to click when there is a high resistance or voltage drop. This is often caused by the main battery cable to the starter being contaminated or worn, the starter cable will then fill with water, which corrodes the aluminium core.
- Problem B: These starters can be incorrectly diagnosed as being at fault when the terminals on the starter relay are contaminated or corroded, which causes the relay to stop working and will then stop the starter solenoid from working.
Diesel alternator charging failure
- Problem: Corrosion/damaged wiring to the alternators three-pin plug ‘sense’ connection is a common cause for premature failure on Transit alternators. It is worth noting that the failure of the ignition relay will cause the battery light to stay on after the fitment of the new alternator.
These issues are simple to prevent, but cannot always be seen straight away by technicians. However, by raising awareness of the common issues such as these on Ford Transit starters and alternators, First Line Ltd is assisting technicians in diagnosing issues quickly and therefore, enabling them to deal with the problem efficiently.
All Borg & Beck rotating machines come with a two-year warranty against manufacturing defects for total peace of mind.