Van, Truck, Trailer, Bus and Coach Aftermarket News in Ireland

Total helps hauliers to cut fuel costs

Total’s Fuel Economy range can help haulage operators lower operating costs, without compromising on the protection, performance and power of the engine, according to Irish distributors Finol Oils.

With the current economic climate and the fluctuations in price of fuel, transport companies are very focused on the bottom line and how they can achieve additional savings. With the price of fuel being a major contributor to the costs of running a successful business, more and more companies are looking at how to save money on fuel.

Being able to run vehicles more efficiently is the best way to start saving and reduce fuel costs. Fuel economy lubricants like the Total Rubia Fuel Economy range can help reduce the costs long term by up €1,000 per vehicle per annum, with 1 Litre of fuel saved per 100kms under normal driving conditions, Finol Oils says.

Fuel Economy lubricants help maintain the engine and prevent wear. They are designed to reduce friction loses throughout the vehicle’s drive chain. They are designed from synthetic base oils with reduced viscosities which require less energy to lubricate. Fuel economy lubricants have specific additives that allow reduction in this friction which is responsible for energy loss in the engine.

The Fuel Economy concept is recognised by ACEA (Association of European Automotive Manufacturers) & the API (American Petroleum Institute) who set the rules concerning the lubricants’ level of performance. OEMs work off these performance levels and develop tests on their engines to set their own levels which are usually set higher than ACEA & API. OEM’s such as Renault Trucks, Daf, Iveco, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo are using Fuel efficiency lubricants for their first fill.

The Total Rubia FE range was developed in Total’s Laboratories using the ACEA, API and OEM performance levels as a starting point. Total’s Products are always developed to a higher performance level than required and are continuously subject to the most rigorous testing, ensuring continuing performance.

Independent tests carried out by the UTAC Laboratory & Millbrook Proving Ground Ltd, have certified the performance levels of Total’s Fuel Economy Lubricants. UTAC has certified Total’s fuel economy lubricants can reach economy of fuel of 2.7% and Millbrook certify that Total’s fuel economy lubricants are enabling a saving 1 litre /100kms.

Of course while using fuel economy engine oil reduces fuel consumption, the vehicle’s engine is only responsible for 40 per cent of the loss in energy while the rest of the drive chain Transmission and Axles are responsible for the other 60 per cent of the energy loss.

Therefore the key to maximising the savings and benefits is to use the full package, combine fuel economy engine oil with fuel economy transmission and axle oils. When the full package is used these fuel economy lubricants have proven fuel savings of 3 per cent in relation to conventional lubricants. Normally lubricant companies only offer 1 Fuel Economy Product 5W30 but Total offers the full range.

Finol Oils Ltd is the Irish distributor for Total Lubricants and can provide operators with the full range of Fuel Economy Lubricants required to start moving transport costs to a more efficient level.

Finol also offers an additional product, Actioil a diesel fuel system treatment designed to prevent and solve the problems of moisture, gelling and bacteria and Fungus build up in fuel tanks and the fuel system. Actioil used in addition to the fuel economy lubricants can ensure the fleet achieves peak efficiency.

For more information go to

or call 01 4555 484.